21.2.10

Objective: Succinctness

This week I did shoot a little more video including some scenes with friends and my nephew. However, I also came to the realization that I need to revise my ideas a bit. I am putting my original objectives aside in attempts to reduce my concepts into something practical and streamlined. In researching mentors I have considered the benefits of taking bold, decisive steps with my video to convey a message that meets my aim. I have plenty of material, so I have primarily been reviewing and editing it. I have one final cut project that is already close to five minutes, but does not adequately encapsulate what I imagine for my final product. I think I will now reorder and reconsider those clips, cut them down or cut them out, and try a slightly different approach to matching up scenes once I have redesigned the structure of plot points and interviews. I now see that I must be more deliberate, and concise in my integration of the two. I hope to spend enough time editing in the following days to be on the right track by the showing of my rough cut next week. I believe it takes a great deal more skill to make a short video than a long one. Perhaps, I will continue with my larger ideas later, but for now I hope I am up to the task of revising my vision for brevity. I am going to try to think about styles and techniques of condensing narration that are used in music videos and movie trailers to find a better way of conveying a strong message in a few minutes of time.


IHRTLUHC
Jordan Severson







2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you on that short videos are harder to make than longer ones. I guess the key is to recognize what images and sequences will really catch people's attention because just like how long videos can easily become boring, short videos can quite easily become forgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short videos can also be very powerful and haunting. It is good to have plenty of material to draw from. Consider that some may form one video piece, while other material may create yet another. Consider doing two versions and choosing between the two.

    ReplyDelete