27.2.10

One more step

I am pleased that I have met my goal of creating a rough cut of my video to show for my class progress report. I got the video to work out enough to have some semblance of my original vision and I cut it down to a pretty controlled length of 8:45 min. I got a select amount of criticism, but what I heard from people so far was really helpful. There are some very particular things that people drew my attention to:

I need to think about the intro and title, the transitions of scenes, having more problems to display my point further with the plot, adding more humor, adding some of my other types of footage to round out what I have chosen, of course I need to finish trimming it down, and I am considering a bit more video to shoot that could bring together a different kind of conclusion if I wanted a more closed ending.
I am pleased, but I still have a great deal of work to do. It is at this sort of stage in such a project that I think a little discipline and pacing go a long way. In considering this, I was reminded of a song that has always caught my fancy conceptually. It is called "Imprint" by a band that was called doubleDrive. It has always felt for me to be a calming kind of concept to consider when I need to focus on something and take it one step at a time. I will include a Youtube video for this song. That being said, I want to also consider some more audio for my video and try to think about scoring my video also to give a more complete feeling to the finished product.


IHRTLUHC
Jordan Severson

4 comments:

  1. I think the music in a film is a very important part. Music is a way to tell the audience how they should be feeling, and can cue them in on things that are about to happen. The lack of music is also a tool that is very powerful. Sometimes people don't really notice the music in a film, but when there isn't music at all, there can be a kind of uncomfortable feeling that comes out of it, even if the viewer doesn't realize exactly why they are feeling that way.

    That said, when you are thinking about music for your film, keep in mind exactly how you want your film to come across, or that particular scene. Would it be more effective to have no music? To use music ironically?

    Just some things to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great work so far but as you said there are other things to add to it. I agree with Molly about your music choice but i think you should also look into the extra noise at the backgroung especially in the Cafe area and how you want that to blend into your video and not as a distraction.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most powerful footage was documentation of the constrictions you are feeling upon return to the US. It illustrates your culture shock completely. Your earnest attempts to dialog with your friends about your experiences could be trimmed some. We kept wondering what is keeping you from living with a more "European" attitude now that you're back in the US. Maybe the answer to that is the key to your video. Can you show what that obstacle is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fencing footage shot through the mask is also quite good and less obvious. It is symbolic and evocative if juxtaposed with other footage. Sound and the speed (sometimes slowing things down slightly) underscores a sense of perceptual dislocation, etc.

    ReplyDelete